Brush Lettering—Just in time for Christmas
TUTOR: Gayle McGovern
DATE: 21 November 2020
TIME: 9.30 am – 4.30 pm
COST: $150 members, $180 non-members
Modern brush lettering encourages the individual to explore their own interpretation of the letters they create. By remembering a few simple rules, and committing to some focused initial practice you can develop the muscle memory that allows you to effortlessly create stunning and eye-catching artwork. And while you are honing your skills there are a surprising number of little “cheats” you can employ to produce beautiful artwork right out of the gate.
You don’t need elaborate tools. Modern hand-lettering can be done with inexpensive brush pens and even cheap bullet-tipped pens from Ikea. A new black brush pen will be provided for each student to keep however during the class we will also explore a wide variety of other black and coloured pens to give you a feel for the many options available in the marketplace.
In this fun, hands-on class you will learn to create beautiful and unique hand-lettering that can be framed as wall art or used in bullet journals, wall art and scrap-booking. With Christmas just around the corner, we will also look at ways you can use these new skills to design and print your own beautiful greeting cards, gift tags, place cards and even wrapping paper.
• See a demonstration of a few simple rules.
• Spend time becoming familiar with the various hand and wrist movements that underpin a consistent lettering technique using a variety of practice sheets.
• Try a selection of brush, marker and other pens to become familiar with how the different tools perform.
• Explore, analyse and copy samples of existing artwork to further cement your muscle memory.
• Choose a style and some words that will be the basis of your own custom designed greeting card/gift tag/place card combo.
• Using pre-printed cards backgrounds (or create your own if you prefer) lay out your text to create a set of beautiful items to take home.
• Become familiar with the simple rules that govern good modern brush lettering.
• Do some targeted practice exercises that will give you the confidence to try new things for yourself.
• Enjoy some free play with a large and varied collection of pens.
• Choose the text and the theme of your card combo (doesn’t have to be Xmas!) and explore lettering styles that appropriately express their meaning.
• Create several pieces of lettered art that can be used as they are or which can become master copies for an unlimited number of reprints.
All materials will be provided.
Ralph Lewis Bindery
Room 14, Garry Owen House
Callan Park, Balmain Rd
Lilyfield NSW 2038
Follow the orange signs for Writing NSW (formerly the NSW Writers' Centre) to the carpark behind the building. For more information on how to find us, please visit NSW Guild.
Please wear closed-in shoes as an OHS requirement
For ages 18+
The bindery will be open by 9am. Tea, coffee and biscuits will be supplied. There will be a lunch break of 30 minutes. There is a fully equipped kitchen adjacent to the bindery if you wish to bring your lunch, but otherwise there are cafes and markets nearby.
Avoid disappointment. Enrol early. Please ensure that you have provided a valid email and mobile number as any course changes will be communicated via SMS or email.