Level 1 - Paper Sculpture for Bookbinding - 15th June 2019
TUTOR: Jean Kropper
DATE: Saturday 15th June 2019
TIME: 9.30 a.m. – 4.00pm.
COST: Members $130, Non-members $165
This course is for those who have basic hand skills in the cutting and folding of paper and are familiar with the use of set squares, metal rulers and cutting with Xacto knives.
You can use templated images provided, or you can create your own images if you have art skills.
Good eye/hand coordination, patience and good dexterity are necessary for this course as sharp knives are used in the cutting of board and paper.
You will be shown correct procedure in the use of these tools but good co-ordination will assure accurate cutting and prevention of injury.
Closed in shoes MUST be worn at all times.
This course teaches an introduction to creating paper sculptures, that is, the design, hand skills and technical considerations of building hidden support structures.
The focus of Level One will be on natural forms, such as leaves, flowers, grasses, butterflies, birds. You can bring sketches to create your own images or customise and compose an image from templates provided. If you are bringing your own images please send them in ahead to the tutor can advise on suitability (scale, level of detail).
Learn the delicate hand skills of creating paper sculpture. A flower, a wing, waves, a leaf. Add a butterfly, a curl of paper, a dragonfly. Starting with your own drawings or templates provided, we will learn the steps to trace, cut and shape paper. The other half of paper sculpture is the hidden structure of wire or foam core that support your shapes. We will cover how to build and mount your creations.
Class work will be designed to sit in an IKEA bought box frame so the framing and hanging is easy and achievable.
• By the end of this course you should be able to:á
• Identify the grain direction of a sheet of paper and why it matters in your work
• Be familiar with how to cut shapes accurately with an Xacto knife
• Be familiar with scoring, shaping, curling and creasing paper with a bone folder
• Have an understanding of paper properties, such as sizing and paper weight (in grams per square metre) and how to work with that in a sculpture
• Have an introduction to composing a paper sculpture image to fit in a frame
• Have an introduction to building depth in sculptures with hidden support structures of foam core blocks and wire.
• Be introduced to adhesives for paper sculpture
Videos showing my own paper sculpture:
Showcase Your Product with Paper Sculpture Jean Kropper - YouTube 1:00 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btpGz0tSTlU Paper Sculpture Photo Shoots-
All materials and tools are supplied at the Bindery
Tea, coffee and biscuits will be supplied. There will be tea breaks and lunch which you are welcome to bring with you or there are cafes and markets nearby.
Workshop written and delivered by Jean Kropper for the NSW Guild of Craft Bookbinders © 2018 Jean Kropper. All rights reserved.